Hickory Community Theatre encourages people of all races, ethnicities, identities, body types, physical and cognitive abilities to interview for job postings. Theatre is for everyone, and HCT believes in representation and equity for all.
Seeking a year-round full-time technical director. The technical director oversees three performance spaces, the 320 seat Jeffers Theatre proscenium stage, the cabaret style Firemen’s Kitchen, and the Council Chamber black box educational stage, all located in the historic 100-year-old former Hickory City Hall.
An ideal candidate is a motivated and creative individual who can work both independently as well as a collaborator as projects dictate with at least 3 years of experience in design and production. Reporting directly to the artistic director, the technical director takes the lead in scenic design and construction and oversees other designers and technicians in the creation and implementation of all other aspects of production. The technical director oversees the smooth day-to-day operation of production as well as managing budget and schedule. Candidates with undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees and/or equivalent work experience will all be considered.
• Manage performance spaces, theatre/production equipment.
• Oversee and working respectfully with volunteers and contractors working on productions.
• Oversee all aspects of planning, scheduling, builds, load-ins, along with tech rehearsals, and strikes.
• Produce needed technical and construction drawings, schematics (and or models) using chosen software.
• Work with the artistic director on season/maintenance budgets, then maintain budget and track expenses.
• Maintain accurate inventory.
• Maintain a safe, workspace in all production departments.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's Degree in this discipline OR equivalent work experience
• Technical Theatre: 3 years (Preferred)
• Ability to use computer-aided drafting software.
• Basic or better familiarity with ETC lighting controls.
• Basic or better familiarity with QLab sound and video controls.
• Proficiency with carpentry and engineering for theatrical production.
• Familiar with and able to implement and execute common theatrical practices and procedures.
• Successful experience leading, educating and supervising volunteer work crews
• Ability to repeatedly lift, push, or maneuver 50-70 lbs.
• Ability to repeatedly climb and work on ladders
• Valid Driver’s License
Job Type: Full-time
Starting Pay: $18.00 hour
Reports to: Artistic Director
Work Location: One location
Benefits (fully paid by HCT):
• Dental insurance
• Health insurance
• Disability insurance
• Paid vacations, holidays, and sick leave.
• Monday to Friday
• Weekend availability
• Present for all tech-week rehearsals, and occasional show maintenance.
Hickory Community Theatre is a fully vaccinated workplace and requires proof of full vaccination. When conditions warrant, the candidate hired for this position must be comfortable implementing any protective protocols deemed necessary by HCT management.
• Cover Letter
• Detailed resume, including all experience relevant to the qualifications described in this announcement.
Please contact Eric Seale to submit or for questions